Tuesday 8 June 2010

Howdy! Raju ban gaya Gentleman!

Not that y'all missed me, or any such ;-)

"Raju ban gaya gentleman" implying "a certain southern hic", trying to go fab. I got a Macbook. I almost felt like calling up my insurance company to make coverage changes (reference there being, one can do so, on life changing events like birth of a child, divorce etc. etc.) since moving from a PC to Mac is a life altering event, for me at least ;-)

Got it Thursday, took me the weekend to get be reasonably comfortably functional.

Seen those Mac vs PC commercials? I saw young men & women at work, both local and from Infosys, Wipro et al, toting the Macbooks, with a smirk and askance look when we talked about viruses (why is it not virii?). Made me feel like the PC guy.

Highlight - I learned what an extended click is (made me wonder how would someone from the 60s, 70s react to "... just double click the right button of your mouse and you'll be cooking with gas ...", almost has an obscene bent to it, wouldn't u say?), Safari instead of IE, etc. etc. etc.

Here is the real motivation - when I bought my older one (12) a Windows 7 laptop last Christmas, my younger one (10) wanted a Mac book this summer. I figured, at least for the first day or 2, I have to fend questions, till he reaffirms that dad is ancient.

Here is my 2 cents however - the Mac is not much more slicker than Windows 7. Comes with its own set of quirks, inconveniences, crashes (Firefox did crash on me incessantly), and yes it can get "virii" too ;-)

4 comments:

Lakshmi Patro said...

This reminds me of beginning of my career as a programmer. It was in 1987-88 that I started learning to write programs in BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN etc etc. People considered learning computers is something extraterrestrial. When I joined work in 1988 Wordstar was the word processing software used for DOS based PCs. Somehow I was an expert at it. Everyone in the office right from the Director to the clerk considered me as some magician. They were awe struck when I used to do the cut paste and stuff like that. Very quickly I became Bhery Phamous for my wordstar tricks. But inside me I was really getting frustrated with all the calls for help. I was not getting time to do any programming for which I was employed.

Those were the days and its hardly 24 years and what a revolution! Now my Grand daughter Prutha who is just 4 and half manages to load her own learning and gaming CDs and navigate the mouse. She sometimes corrects me on selecting the proper options. Now I feel a computer illiterate.

Nargis said...

Hilu....

Well, a few years back Shanker upgraded my PC and presented the writer a laptop. This year Misha sent me a new laptop with better features. Now he says he wants to buy me an Ipad...goodness!! Frankly speaking, all I need is a place to put down my thoughts and it hardly matters where they go. yes, although I still prefer the warmth of the ink, with my haphazard ways I'd never have been able to write a book without a comp...:-}
Btw...since Misha's working with Microsoft, buying an Ipad from Apple...wouldn't that amount to an act of Kaamdrohi...;-}

Vimal Parmar said...

Mac... Wow..!! Congratulations..!!!

Seetha said...

Omkar, once you get used to the Mac keys and commands you will never go back to PC. I bought my iMac two years ago and SIMPLY LOVE IT. Have not had any pop-ups, virii yet (touch wood)!!! I have everything 'APPLE' in my home, my older son has the Macbook and he loves it too.