Friday 24 September 2010

Jab We Met Dwiteeye...Tweeteeye...Chautha...Panchum...(haven't kept an account of the number)

When I meet Imtiaz Ali next I'll tell him how indebted we SVC Bloggers are to him for letting us lay claim again and again to the title of his hitt’est’ film. (I'm not phenkoing, he really is related to me). The latest sequel happened when the intelligent Stanley arrived here to offer his training expertise to some dilettantes from Bhubaneswar. Really don't know if those green kids became any wiser with his lectures but by the time Stan left, Sarita, Debu, Shanker and I had got a few lessons in face reading. Actually it doesn’t make sense to take off our ‘Met’ing from mid-runway point so let me begin at the beginning.

I get a call from Sarita that Stanley Babu is in town and wants us to have yet another mini-meet…

’....but this time in a hotel please’…..are both their refrains as they seriously feel that it isn’t fair that I should play host every time. But hey, Stanley is Baby Auntie’s son and if any child of Mummy’s best’est’ friend came and left without paying respects to her, there will be a murder in my house. I tell him that. But they are both insistent and want to pick up something so we can all can have a Guilt Free Pot Luck Meet.

What should I get’ each wants to know.

Really you don’t have to get anything. Shanker will mind and..’….

NO, NO, NO,NO.. we want to

Okay then, just get some rolls or noodles or kababs or something’.

So Sarita arrives with a bagful of chicken rolls enough to feed an entire starving army from Ethiopia. And Stan arrives with noodles. I am inside informing Mom that Baby's Son has finally arrived. Baby's Son probably hands over the bag of noodles to Nargis's Husband.

‘You shouldn’t have bothered’ Husband the perfect host, probably says.

'No problem' the cool dude actually says. Nargis asked me to get them’…..

WHAAAAAAAT??!!!

And my perfect host husband comes in and gives me a how-on-earth-can-you-ASK-the- poor-fellow-to-GET-something kind of demeaning look. As I am unaware of what just happened, I smile. Really don'k know what kind of training Stan dishes out to the kids but I bet there is not a spoonful of tact in it Hmmmmmph!!

And then the fun begins!! Stanley shows off his special face reading skills, which he's just learnt from some especial face reader. He also teaches us mango people (aam aadmi) the finer nuances of this talent. He looks at Shanker.

‘Your nose says that you are a good financial officer’. And we all go WOW!

He looks at me.

- ‘You’ve tampered with your eyebrows (I mean who doesn't Stan??)If not I’d have read what your eyebrows say’. Even as my shy eyebrows recede into my scalp the others go..WOW and nearly give him a BOW!!

Next Sarita and I try out our hand at this unique skill.

‘Your ears say that you are a good quizzer Stan says I.

Your eyes say that you have two lovely daughters Stan’ says Sarita.

'OMG You two sure are fast learners 'says Stan's amazed expression.

And then he reads some more faces and reveals some more interesting facts that nearly starts a spousal battle. Then I relate a script. About Jab I Met Henry- A sure blockbuster if Imtiaz decides to make it. And then we eat. And then we drink. And then we make merry talk. And then we start getting calls. National and International!!

We all wonder how Vimal, Lakshmi, Henry and Sancheyta ring up in succession to find out what is going on in Bhubaneswar. I almost switch on the TV to see if news of the SVC meet is splashed out in the Headlines Today. How could they know? I mean ONLY VIMAL knows. And then we all get Sherlocky and figure out. If ONLY VIMAL knows, the whole of his ‘Postcard’ knows!!

Sorry guys, I'm coming to the blog after a long break and as I scroll down I see lots of Happy Birthdays have gone by. So here's wishing all the Birthday boys and girls many more to come. May you grow younger every day and may you keep blogging :-}

15 comments:

Nargis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roydebnath said...

apa, ochen xorosho, der aye durust aye. nam ochen rad

Seetha said...

OK Nargis, great write up, but where are the pictures??? No 'jab we met' episode is complete without pictures!!!!

Faiyaz said...

Great write Up Nargis!

Agree Seetha - Pictures??

No Picture Release till the CWG gets over?

Debnath- This one's for you
It's мне очень хорошо ("mne ochen' khorosho") - I feel very good. ... erm
CHasov okolo pyati utra na skotnom dvore ekonomii razdalsya zvuk truby.
Zvuk etot, razdirayushche-pronzitel'nyj i kak by rasshcheplennyj na mnozhestvo
muzykal'nyh volokon, protyanulsya skvoz' abrikosovyj sad, vyletel v pustuyu
step', k moryu, i dolgo i pechal'no otdavalsya v obryvah raskatami postepenno
utihayushchego eha.
|to byl pervyj signal k otpravleniyu dilizhansa.
Vse bylo koncheno. Nastupil gor'kij chas proshchan'ya.
Sobstvenno govorya, proshchat'sya bylo ne s kem. Nemnogochislennye dachniki,
ispugannye sobytiyami, stali raz®ezzhat'sya v seredine leta.

Stanley David said...

Who can stop Nargis when she is in full flow ....

Once you have taken above encounter comments with a pinch of salt, let me tell you that we had a really classy evening at their place--Shankar and Nargis were perfect hosts, including summoning trayloads of delicious entrees through a mere click of the button...

Sarita was equally eloquent, while Debu displayed his wonderful active listening skills 9as if he had any other option, with 3 svcians in full spirits.

Airtel made a hefty profit as calls poured in from all over, courtesy Vimal...


All in all, Minin Reunion No 25 {le fete gallantes en Railway Palais en Bhubaneswar} was a grand affair, and one for the record books.

Enarkay said...

Nargis and Shankar have hosted most mini reunions of SVCians at their place, many at short notice.Our thanks to them.
Great writeup as usual.

Lakshmi Patro said...

Ah! Nargis back to the blog after soooo long. It was gr8 talking to all of you. I really hope someday there will be a mega reunion. Umeed pe duniya kayam hai.

Nargis said...

Debnath and Faiyaz: Whatever.....I think you laal topi Russi guys can carry on your conversation as the rest of us desi folks cannot understand a thing....Shanker is also not here...he's gone to vizag...:-{

Seetha: I think I have to depend on Sarita and Debu for the pics..!!
Stan: I think your writing skills are much better than your face reading skills. So drop everything and start writing!! You know very well this comment of yours could have very well qualified as a blog :-}

NRK: Actually I should thank all you folks for taking everything that I write about our 'meets' with a pinch of salt. Of course not that you all have any choice. Especially since you guys ne mere ghar ka namak jo khaya hai....LOL

Lakshmi: I'm afraid this SVC Mega Reunion goes way beyond umeed...The way I see it, it probably needs divine intervention....hehehe..So as humans we can contribute to such mini meets. Btw..it was wonderful talking to you....:-}

roydebnath said...

Nargis, Fai is trying to spam me, comparing my russi grammar (or the murder of it) to the experience of getting up at 5 in the morning to the sound of bellowing noises in the cattle pen, and the dachas in the village. A little rambling, but must grant him, his knowledge of Russi literature would do Pushkin proud.
Me? I did a Part time Adv dip in 1997 in DU, don't remember much as there were too many distractions in class!!! Barely scraped through.

Omkar said...

Does Almas Bhai rmrbr his Russi?

arun bhatt said...

In the company of ladies the dashing, daring, debonairs of the seventies used to try their hand (& luck) with palmistry. Now Mr.David has graduated to face reading!!! That's dare-devilry.

Without photographs there is always a feeling that we have missed something. Hope Sarita has clicked some.

Nargis said...

Debnath: Faiyaz is just trying to show off. Must have copied the lines somewhere. He knows zilch of Russi...:-}

Hilu: Remember? Gosh, even now when they have to say something secret, shanker and he break off into a russian verbalogue...:-}

Arun: Sarita is so busy she doesn't even have time to read the blog...despite my telling her on the phone. And next time guys, when you come on such meets, please bring your cameras along...LOL

sarita said...

hi guys , i'm still licking my wounds, smarting under Stan's smart facereading statements (not very complementary at that..)
guys the evening was star studded what with people like the magnanimoushost Shankar bhai, the beautiful&organised &painstakin' Nargis &the starof the evening --our dear ol' Stan ,taking us on esoteric trips,& of course my dear hubby. The ambience was tailormade for a journey down memory lane, moments that had burried themselves under the blanket of time all came ALIVE--small anecdotes & incidents--made us split with laughter. Every member of the blog appeared on the scene--in short ,THE EVENING was UNFORGETTABLE...THANKS Shankarbhai &Nargis, & ofcourse Stan in whose honor we all gottogether& had a blast!!!

Nargis said...

Proffessarita!!

Woh sab toh theek hai. Accepted your much sought after attendance here...but ma'am where are the photus? Everyone is waiting for them....!!

And btw...the rolls were FANTASTIC!! We had them for b'fast, lunch and dinner...;-}

sarita said...

Thanks Nargis for always playing the Perfect Host and for the epilogue of praises...Thanks immensely for the nicknacks from AMRICA WITH LOVE, iwas thrill'd ...
The fotos shot in darkness are a real disaster, it would be like uploading a dark patch and leaving it to the guys to guess,they could might aswell do so without the hazy dark indecipherable patch --we svc-ians are an intelligent&imaginative lot--will come armed wid cameras& floodlights next time--tillthen keep blogging and step4ward in my defence.... you know i count on YOU.!!!!...keep in touch..ciao all.