In the sixties and seventies, films were our biggest source of entertainment in Berhampur. SSVT ( the one without a balcony), Vijaya Talkies (pronounced as Bijoyo talkeez), Jyoti Talkies (with two extra arms jutting out from the balcony) and Utkal Talkies were haloed and revered landmarks of our town. That was where we had our rendezvous with stars, stories, exotic locales, melodious songs and melodrama. It was a complete package- a three hour escapism from the drudgery of our mundane middle-class existence.
A parallel sub-culture, the importance of films can be gauged from the fact that once in the late sixties, Khalikote college (Stanely’s Oxford of South Orissa) went on a flash strike. The reason? There was a steep hike in ticket rates by about 15 to 20 paisa which threatened to take the balcony tickets past Re.1/. The revolutionary students, stung by the injustice of it all, took to the streets and stalled the proposed hike earning tremendous respect from the commoners for their crusade against the profiteering bourgeois. Hail Oxford!
Cinema, during our times, was broadly categorized as:
Phameelee philm - which probably meant Helen and Bindu were either not part of the star cast or behaved within limits.
Adults philm - pilla mananko paeen bhalo noohey (which meant that Helen and Bindu had crossed their limits). There were very few films in this category though.
Story philim which invariably revolved around a social message (Guide, Mother India etc.) Story naheen kintu geeto bhalo or geeto bhalo nahin kintu Kaaasmir shooting achhi were its other variants.
Sauspence Philm – (Murder kiye karila? ) Jewel Thief, Wo Kaun Thee, Teesre Manzil, Dhoond etc.
Finally there was the Desho Bhakti philm. Haquekat, Upkaar belonged to this minority.
It was a cardinal sin to reach a film hall past the designated time. Everything from the posters and photographs displayed in the lobby, the slides, the trailers and the national anthem was observed minutely. Even the mandatory news reel, where Indira Gandhi would be busy inaugurating something or the other, removing Garibi from our lives, was lapped up with gusto. At times when Nehru would emerge from the aeroplane (udaa jahojo) and wave towards the crowds or Mahatma Gandhi would be shown walking briskly, en route to make salt, we would all clap. Paisa vasool even before the show begins!!
Just before the film starts there was, and still is, a mandatory certificate which is displayed. In it, among other details, is mentioned the number of reels. If it was 17 reels and above (as in the case of Purab aur Paschim/ Jhonny Mera Naam) it was immediately received with loud cheers, appreciative claps and whistles. If it was below 14 reels (as in the case of Anand, Mili, Ittefaq etc.) there would be boos from the audience and the invariable caustic remark - Shalla thakki della re.
Loud, vociferous, spontaneous and sincere audience participation was the order of the day in Berhampur of our times. If the heroine coyly hid behind trees while the hero was busy searching her elsewhere in the midst of a song, (a typical Dev Anand habit) there was always help at hand from the Berhumpurias. “ Gochoo Pochhe re achi, bulee kee dekh re” someone would invariably shout.
When the hero finally confronts the villain in the climax, he would get plenty of loud support from the good samaritans in the audience who would shout, “Maar shalla Ku maar, aaji police late aseebo.”
Since we were allowed to see one or maybe two films a month, choosing the right film was always a big issue. It was only by discussing it with others that I and Anil (my brother and mentor) could arrive at the right choice. Apart from peer advice there was that great forbidden literature called Filmfare, Picture Post and Screen, available to us only during our monthly visits to the barber shop. When I and Anil used to read it in the barber shop at Komapalli or Bijipur our eyes would pop out. “Why can’t we come to the barber shop every fortnight,” I whispered to Anil. Sssssh, he warned me, parents would come to know about our real motive.
The one great drawback with my love affair with films was that I was a cry-baby.
When brothers got separated in Kumbh ka melas or through a quirk of destiny as in Jhonny Mera Naam, Yadon Ki Baraat and later on Amar Akbar Anthony I cried.
When the villian would tie the hero’s mother to a pillar with a hunter in hand forcing her to sign the property documents, I cried.
When Manoj Kumar went deaf after Jaya Bhaduri got her voice back in Shor, I cried (Vijaya Talkies)
When Rishi Kapoor(Raju) lost his crush- his school teacher Simi (Mary) in Mera Naam Joker, I cried (Utkal talkies)
When Dev Anand failed to get Zeenat Aman back in Hare Rama Hare Krishna, I cired. (Jyoti talkies).
When Amitabh desperately shouted Bolo Anand Bolo, itnee dino sey main tumhari bak-bak sunta aya hoon, aaj tumhe bolna padega, in Anand. I cried.(Utkal talkies).
Yet, I ventured out bravely every month promising to myself and Anil that this time I would not cry.
35 years down the line nothing has changed.
I reckon some people are just not destined to grow up.


20 comments:
Arun
What's unique about you I find , your posts are subjective. Whereas all of us have been narcisstic and posting ' self- acclaim '
Would love to have your family's snap on the blog.
The wave of nostalgia is let loose again -- yes, as Naresh correctly describes your subjective style, you have captured for all of us the good old cinema culture of the 60's and 70's.
Even the movie clip that precedes your blog is from Shareef Budmash, all of us who went to Kashmir met them at location shooting --and we were delighted to see the stars.
Woh bhi kya din the ....
Those were the days, my friend.... Arun, your memory is remarkable.Till I read your post, I'd even forgotten the names of those movie halls.
Though I wasn't much of a movie buff (strict parents!), I remember seeing a few movies in BAM, three of which I thoroughly enjoyed, The Sound of Music, One Million years BC and My Fair Lady. My parents, however used to see a fair amount of movies and would drop me off at Faiyaz's place whenever they went for a show. Film magazine of any kind was taboo in our house but we subscribed to The Illustrated Weekly of India,Femina, Eve's Weekly, JS, Time & Span.
Made up for the lack of fillums in college(Women's College, AMU, Aligarh) where we used to see about 12 movies a month. Can you beat that?
thanks a lot naresh, stanely and tasneem.
sound of music reminds me of how i got a dvd a few years back and tried to force my kids to watch it. they were simply not interested. how times change! but 12 movies a month? hats off to you tasneem!
Ah Tasneem Ji,
That reminds me of also the "English" movies that we had the opportunity to see in BAM. There must have been a decent sized clientele for BAM theatres to host those morning shows and matinees. "Guns of Navarone", "Mckenna's Gold", "Othello", "Count of Monte Cristo", "Muscle Beach Party", many other WW-II movies are a few that come to mind.
Arun,
Refreshing!
Vimal,
Rmbr? "Our Agent Flint"? Out first movie by ourselves (Std. V I think), u, Bhabani, I and there was a 4th. guy (Basant, Nari, Suresh?). At that time I didn't even know who James Coburn is/was ;-)
Stanley Bhai,
Hello. My recollection of you is that of a studious senior ;-) How's Henry? He was quite a comedian.
Omkar
Arun I happen to watch all the movies that you've mentioned - Believe me I Never Cried.
Not a tear drop fell!
But after having reading your blog I did! Touched
Yeh Ansu merey Dil Ki Zubaan hain!
Arun, Omkar, Cut the 'ji' bit. Makes me feel ancient! You can call me by my name. Most of my pals call me Tas. You folks canm do the same too.
'Ji' Haan
One 'does' watch movies in a month,
but watch one 'DOZ' movies a month?
Did that with a vengeance only for three years in undergraduation. Actually had a whale of a time in college. Hardly ever go to the theatres these days. Only watch on DVD or online. Btw, has anyone seen A wednesday? Its awesome. Two movies that I'm looking forward to see are 'Slumdog Millionaire' & 'Firaaq'.
hi faiyaz,
i really hope you were touched by what i blogged. it came straight from my heart.
the last time my father spanked me was in 1974 when he heard me arguing with mom that i should be allowed to see a film (Heera Panna). Obviously he might have seen the provocative poster of Zeenat Aman (remeber the bikini clad one- lying in a hammock). Films were really a part and parcel of our growing up years.
Arun still await your mailing address to send u the CD ' Dasara Bullodu ' - Telugu movie.
sorry about that i shall mail it 2 you today itself.
AnnaGaru, this is his address. Tum bhi yaar, famous logon ka address nahi puchna chahiye. Bhej do CD pahunch jaayega:
Arun Bhatt
SVC Master Blogger, Mumbai
Arun, what memories you have unleashed! Gosh, I do remember vividly my escapades to movies, especially with Henry to English flicks in Utkal talkies (morning shows, costing Rs 1.30).
I guess you forgot to mention the neck ache people got in SSVT owing to pillars obstructing the view.
I also remember sneaking out to Vijaya talkies in 1970 with my brother and Nari (Narayan) to get a dekho of McEnna's Gold, and we all came back blushing---you know why!
Tasneem, your mention of Illustrated Weekly has tingled fond memories of Phantom comics and JS of Modesty Blaise. I still cannot get that fun with TV today.
Hi Arun......
That was truly a 'classic' blog! Thorougly enjoyed reading it. And welcome to the crying club! Since I am a few years senior to you I've probably cried a leeeetle more and therefore qualify to be it's president...:-}Even now if I don't shed a tear or two the movie is not worth it. Hey btw...anyone seen AMU? That's a beautiful movie too.
@ Venu- You bet...those mags of yore beat the TV shows of today hands down, I also loved Hubert, Brer Rabbit and Tiffany. Used to collect all the posters from JS and put up my favourite ones in my room, much to my Mom's chagrin. She used to consider that as defacement of her walls. Btw, my husband is equally strict about this and doesn't approve of our kids pasting anything on the walls :)
@ Nargis- Yes I saw Amu a year back. Awesome movie...Konkona has done a good job & Brinda Karat looks as elegant as ever.I gave the DVD to my daughter, she also loved it. Kite-Runners was also great, but the book was even better. Read Tamarind Mem... you'll like it because of the railway backdrop.
hi nargis and venu,
thanx for going thru and appreciating.hope it inspires others to share their take on the life and times at St.Vincent's.i feel emotional about those days and the real tragedy is that if one day i decide to go to BAM this beautiful bubble that floats in my minds eye will burst.
venu you are spot on. i wanted to slip in a line about those pillars but i got a bit confused with the pillars of capital film hall of cuttack. remember in cuttack if somebody blocked your view he was immediately called as capital khunti?
Hey Arun,
Capital cinema was equally pillar-ridden as SSVT. But it closed down during our school stint, no?
I saw films in capital cinema till my intermediate days. i remember seeing the elongated version of Sholay in this hall.
Post a Comment