Friday 5 June 2009

Go kiss the World



"Life Lessons for the Young Professional
A book by Subroto Bagchi

'Go, kiss the world’ were Subroto Bagchi’s blind mother’s last words to him. These words became the guiding principle of his life.

Subroto Bagchi grew up amidst what he calls the ‘material simplicity’ of rural and small-town Orissa, imbibing from his family a sense of contentment, constant wonder, connectedness to a larger whole and learning from unusual sources. From humble beginnings, he went on to achieve extraordinary professional success, eventually co-founding MindTree, one of India’s most admired software services companies.

Through personal anecdotes and simple words of wisdom, Subroto Bagchi brings to the young professional lessons in working and living, energizing ordinary people to lead extraordinary lives. Go Kiss the World will be an inspiration to ‘young India’, and to those who come from small-town India, urging them to recognize and develop their inner strengths, thereby helping them realize their own, unique potential."

Hi Friends,
I'm right now reading this beautifully written book by Subroto Bagchi and am loving every bit of it. I really like the simple style and easy flow of English words from a guy who has been schooled in Oriya medium. I had met Bagchi in AMU, Aligarh where he had come to participate at a national debate and walked away with the 1st prize. I felt a sense of pride for this admirable Oriya guy who was representing Utkal Univ even though I was a proud Aligarian. I remember he spoke beautifully and was so well informed and gracious. He was doing his MA in Pol.Sc is what he'd told me...now he is a big shot in the IT world...the co-founder and CEO of Mindtree. This book of his is so inspiring and I'm sure most of us who are around his age can relate to many of his experiences during his formative years in Orissa. I for one have been able to draw many parallel's between my Father's training and Bagchi's father's upbringing of his sons. My sister and I were in fact discussing how uncannily similar our fathers' mindset were. Bagchi's book is a definite must read and I'd recommend it to all our kids too. It is possible to reach great heights even in areas totally unrelated to your field of education if you have the drive to succeed. If only I'd known this earlier...I'd always felt that my Masters in Pol.Sc.(a non-tech subject) and hopelessness in Maths were my Achilles heel. How wrong I was! One can successfully turn around any disadvantage to an asset by determination, hard work and above all intelligence and presence of mind.
Bye,
Tasneem

4 comments:

Naresh said...

Great inspiration ! And pep talk TAS .

Enarkay said...

Now I want to read his book after reading your post Tas. Didnt know he was from Orissa.

Louis J Rao said...

Tas / NRK,

I have had the opportunity to hear him twice on 2 occassions , once at Bishop Cotton Graduation Day.He is an amazing orator .
Infact if you approach him and mention that you are from Orissa , you are sure to get a job.No kiddin, I met 4 guys who were from Orissa and who got the job .It was their testimony.

Vimal Parmar said...

This is now on my MUST READ list... Thanx Tas.